If you were unfortunate enough to suffer injuries in a car accident, you should consider if you can get compensation for your medical bills, loss of wages, and suffering. In New York, people are required to have $50,000 in no-fault personal injury protection, and this amount mainly pays for the medical bills. However, this is certainly not enough and just, more so if your injuries are a result of someone else’s fault. In this post, we are sharing more on things you must know about hiring a Syracuse car accident lawyer.
- Ask around. If you have friends, family members or office colleagues who have suffered in similar accidents in Syracuse, you may want to get references of the lawyers they have worked with. Alternatively, a quick search on Google should give you a list of top firms in NY.
- Meet in person. Most law firms in Syracuse will be more than happy to offer a personal consultation with one of their lawyers, where you can discuss your case at length. Ask questions related to the possible outcomes, where they see the case, and how they plan to take things ahead.
- Get advice. In New York, the statute of limitations allows the victim to file personal injury lawsuit against the party at fault within three years from the date of the accident. This, however, doesn’t mean that you should wait for that long. Ask your attorney as what they would recommend as the steps ahead
- Courtroom confidence. While most car accident claims are settled through negotiation, things may not always go as expected, and the lawyer you select should have some level of courtroom confidence and experience of handling things in the trial. Ensure that they know what it takes to represent you.
- Charges and fee. There could be additional expenses, beyond the lawyer’s fee, involved in taking your lawsuit ahead, and your attorney will give a fair idea of the same. As for their charges, they would typically take a part of the compensation as their fee, and that’s a wise arrangement, as you don’t have to pay out of your pocket.
Hiring a Syracuse lawyer for your car accident may seem like a choice, but you definitely need one by all means, so that you can get the compensation amount that you deserve. Don’t shy away from discussing questions and ensure that you are transparent with your version of the accident.